WordPress is, without a doubt, the most popular website building platform around the world. Being very easily accessible and offering increased versatility, WordPress can be used for a long list of purposes. From a personal blog to a full-featured business website, you can trust this platform to provide the best building and customizing tools you need. When it comes to securing your website, there are many paths you can follow. Sure, you may not need the same level of security a website like MRBetGames has; however, you should at least take a good look at the security plugins WordPress provides.
Cybercrime is more widespread than ever, so it’s not a bad idea to check out the best WordPress plugins for security and understand how they can help to keep your blog or website safe. And to make this task a lot easier for you, we made a list with the top 10 of them.
10 WordPress Security Plugins To Download
Wordfence Security is one of the most popular security WordPress plugins. The numbers show that it was installed over 2 million times, and it provides a high-end security protocol capable of scanning and identifying over 44,000 malware types. It also comes with a great firewall and real-time traffic functions, so you have a better view of what your traffic sources are and how secure they are.
- Can be used on multiple sites at once.
- Compatible with most themes and other WordPress security plugins.
- Comes with complete documentation and learning resources.
- More advanced features, like scheduled scans or country blocking, are only available with a Premium subscription.
Next on our list of the best WordPress security plugins is All in One WP Security, developed by the experts from Tips and Trick HQ. It is available for free download, and it will protect your website without putting a toll on your connection speed. You have three different security levels to choose from: basic, intermediate, and advanced, while other features like login lockdown can protect your site in case of brute force login attacks. It’s compatible with plenty of WordPress themes so that you won’t have any issues adding it to a website.
- Updated regularly to prevent loopholes.
- It comes with a built-in firewall and database protection.
- When putting in Intermediate or Advanced security levels, it may not be compatible with certain themes.
When using a WordPress website builder, you need to rely on a versatile security plugin to make sure all your work isn’t jeopardized. Known as Better WP Security, this rebranded plugin is an all-round protection system that provides more than 30 ways to protect your website. It is easy to install and use and also comes with a lot of learning material online.
- Regular scans for malware.
- Two-factor authentication.
- Great dashboard to have an overview of the website.
- You only get all the features in the Premium version; however, the standard one provides good protection for basic needs as well.
If you’re all about WordPress widgets and you need a plugin that won’t interfere with their functionality, Sucuri Security might be the perfect choice for you. It provides complete functionality like audit, malware scanning, and security improvements. The user interface is simple to use, and if you want to learn more, you have step-by-step tutorials online.
- File Integrity Monitoring to make sure all the files uploaded on your website are safe.
- Regular scans of various levels.
- Great support from developers when needed.
- While the interface is not complicated, it may seem a bit too complex for new users.
Protecting against over 100,000 attacks, Bulletproof Security is a reliable plugin for WordPress. No matter how many WordPress forms, widgets, or plugins you put on your website, you will never have to worry about compatibility. It comes with tutorial videos so that all users can use it to the maximum of its efficiency.
- One-Click Installation Wizard.
- Logs out idle sessions for improved protection.
- Updated regularly and full of essential features.
- Configuring the plugin without the video tutorials may be too difficult.
Focusing on securing user accounts, the 2-factor-authentication offers multiple login methods so that nobody else but the user can access the account, even if they have the username and password. This plugin can be customized up to various user needs. Of course, the plugin is effective if your website allows users to log in. If not, you can check out any other example in the WordPress guide for security plugins we’re delivering.
- Option for device identification to remember users’ devices.
- Push notifications, QR code scanning, and many other login methods supported.
- All features available only in the premium version.
Next on our list of WordPress plugins is Security AntiVirus Scanner —the all-in-one solution you are looking for if you have a small website without many requirements. It allows you to schedule the scans and detect spam and malware that can affect your website either by compromising it or making it run really slow. It delivers detailed reports on its findings so that you can take action and keep your website safe.
- Easily start the scan process even while you’re updating the website.
- The free version contains many premium-level features.
- Limited functionality if you’re planning to run it on a big website with multiple possible threats.
Why deal with all the potential risks that WordPress sites are usually exposed to when you can hide the fact that your website is powered by WordPress, to begin with. Talking about plugins details, they are taken to the next level. With an excellent rating, it will make the site look like it wasn’t built on WordPress. So, WP-specific threats are kept away. It allows you to rename and hide permalinks, theme name, and other plugins used; also, it can work on several sites at a time.
- Lifetime support without extra payments.
- Automatic updates to always stay protected.
- It won’t work on multiple sites if these are hosted on different servers.
VaultPress is part of Jetpack, a broader plugin that comes with social sharing and user statistics functionality. It can easily back up all the data on your site in real-time, and when it comes to migration, it is incredibly helpful. VaultPress also comes with a threat search function to make sure there’s no threat already on the site before you add the plugin.
- Developed by Automattic — a team of trusted developers in the industry.
- Comes with regular updates and improvements.
- You can only use VaultPress for a single site at a time.
Swift Security stays a step ahead of threats by completely hiding the WordPress details on your website. Thus, it leaves hackers unable to recognize if the site is developed on WordPress. Just like Hide My WP, you can solve all types of security issues with Swift Security Bundle. It also offers a login IP-filter to restrict malicious logins even if the credentials used are correct.
- Easy to install and configure.
- Efficient spam blocker included.
- Offers email and push notifications for anything it finds.
- Provides security online against WordPress-specific threats.
You won’t ever have to worry about any threats after taking a close look at these security plugins for your WordPress website. Remember, you don’t have to run a large website to be attacked by hackers. That’s why it is always better to be safe than sorry and choose proper protection. Especially when many of our suggestions offer free services for basic needs.
What plugins do you use for your website? No matter if it’s a security plugin or anything else like a WordPress redirect plugin, we would love to hear more about how you optimize your website. We encourage you to share your thoughts in the comments section!
Thomas started experimenting with WordPress when he decided to create his blog. So, amazed by how easy it is to build on WordPress, he decided to write about more than just his daily adventures and struggles. So, ever since, he’s sharing the knowledge he discovers about the world of WP and many more.