Having trouble with getting approved for Google AdSense, or not making the revenue you were expecting? Then you will need alternative avenues of revenue to either supplement your AdSense earnings or replace them altogether. In this article, we’re going to look at the top 25 Google AdSense alternatives for 2014. They consist of great display advertising, affiliate marketing, and content monetization networks that will help you earn more revenue.
Display Ad Networks for Small Publishers
Just starting out, or have a medium-sized audience? These display networks beyond AdSense can help you monetize.
- Advertising.com — Advertising.com combines the industry’s most advanced technology, precise targeting and a quality network to deliver results for advertisers & publishers. Publishers using this network include Boston.com, Laptopmag.com, and DIYnetwork.com. Click here to read MonetizePros’ in-depth review of Advertising.com.
- BuySellAds — BuySellAds allows publishers to list their ad inventory on their network to be discovered by advertiser in their niche. Publishers using this network include 9to5google.com, RunBlogger.com, and 1keydata.com. Click here to read MonetizePros’ in-depth review of BuySellAds.
- Chitika — Chitika sets itself apart with their pledge to only show ads to users when and where they want to see them. Publishers using this network include Used-Cars.info, Freebies4mom.com, and Binatani.com. Click here to read MonetizePros’ in-depth review of Chitika.
- IndustryBrains — IndustryBrains allows publishers to leverage their premium online content to generate additional revenue from contextually targeted ads that are consistent with your brand. Publishers using this network include Telecomsemea.net.
- Kontera — Kontera provides publishers with incremental advertising revenues and premium content syndication for their mobile or PC web pages. Publishers using this network include MajorGeeks.com, PracticalMachinist.com, and EventGuide.com. Click here to read MonetizePros’ in-depth review of Kontera.
- Media.net — Media.net brings contextual ads program from Yahoo! and Bing to publishers so they can create and customize ad units that display relevant text ads consisting of sponsored links and ad topics. This network is currently invite only. Click here to read MonetizePros’ in-depth review of Media.net.
- PulsePoint — PulsePoint owns one of the largest independent and fully transparent ad exchanges in the industry, allowing quality publishers to reveal and monetize the true value of their inventory. Publishers using this network include Gameshok.com, Salary.com, and FlashDriven.com.
- Conversant — Conversant (formerly ValueClick Media) helps publishers maximize profits while keeping their costs down. Publishers using this network include Phys.org, AccessAtlanta.com, and Huffingtonpost.co.uk. Click here to read MonetizePros’ in-depth review of Conversant.
Display Ad Networks for Large Publishers
Got a significant-sized audience? These display networks can help you earn even more revenue from them.
- Adblade — Adblade’s full suite of monetization solutions will help you grow revenue by attracting top advertisers, as well as help monetize inventory that’s not currently generating revenue. Publishers using this network include LAtimes.com, Audible.com, and AutoAnything.com. Click here to read MonetizePros’ in-depth review of Adblade.
- Tribal Fusion — Publishers who meet Tribal Fusion’s rigorous standards can expect to discover the benefits of partnering with them and maximize the value of their highly targeted content. Publishers using their network include Ranker.com, Cheapoair.com, and CDW.com.
- Vibrant Media — Increase incremental revenue with Vibrant’s native advertising placements. Publishers using their network include SparkPeople.com, NBCMiami.com, and Computing.net.
Content Monetization Networks
In addition to display ads, you can also monetize your content by simply recommending your audience visit other high-quality publications and products via text links. Here are a few networks that allow you to do this.
- Disqus — Disqus, the popular commenting platform, is working on Promoted Discovery, which will allow publishers using their comment platform to monetize their content as well.
- Outbrain — For publishers with high amounts of traffic, Outbrain allows you to generate revenue with links to high quality third-party content below the fold. Publishers using this network include CNN.com, DailyCurrant.com, and LAweekly.com. Click here to read MonetizePros’ in-depth review of Outbrain.
- Tabooola — Similar to Outbrain, Taboola targets publishers with high traffic to monetize with third-party links to high-quality content. Publishers using this network include Dumpaday.com, WickedLocal.com, and HeraldNews.com.
- VigLink — VigLink automatically pays you when people buy the brands and products you write about by automatically converting regular links into paid ones. Publishers using this network include Makeuseof.com, Rumorfix.com, and HypeLifeMagazine.com.
Email Monetization Networks
Have a huge mailing list and a high-quality newsletter? These networks will help you monetize it!
- LiveIntent — LiveIntent allows you to monetize your valuable newsletter inventory with offers and content in real-time. Publishers using this network include The Weather Channel, AOL, and The Wall Street Journal. Click here to read MonetizePros’ in-depth review of LiveIntent.
- NewsletterDirectory.co — Membership in NewsletterDirectory.co can help you monetize your email list by finding the right sponsors. Click here to read MonetizePros’ in-depth review of NewsletterDirectory.co.
Video Monetization Networks
Are you a video publisher? While Google AdSense has cornered the market in YouTube revenue generation, there are other networks that allow you to monetize other types of videos. Here are a few to get you started.
- Adap.TV — Adap.tv allows you to open your inventory up to new sources of revenue by ensuring the highest possible CPMs for every impression.
- YouTube Partner Program — YouTube video creators can monetize their videos by joining the YouTube Partner Program, which offers CPC and CPM monetization with pre-roll video ads as well as in-video overlays. Click here to read MonetizePros’ in-depth review of the YouTube Partner Program.
- Videology — The Videology Addressable Media Platform enhances the yield on a publisher’s ad inventory by connecting the world’s leading marketers with your audience. Publishers using this network include Fool.com, Activebeat.co, and Gamewise.co. Click here to read MonetizePros’ in-depth review of Videology.
Affiliate networks allow you to find products that your audience will enjoy, promote them, and earn a commission off of them. When done the right way, you can earn significantly more with affiliate marketing than Google AdSense.
- Amazon Associates — Amazon Associates allows you to earn up to 10% commission by simply referring people to products you recommend on Amazon. Click here to read MonetizePros’ in-depth review of Amazon Associates.
- ClickBank — As an affiliate on Clickbank, you will be able to promote downloadable products you’ve picked out from their extensive marketplace for your audience based on their interests.
- CJ Affiliate by Conversant (Formerly Commission Junction) — Whether you are looking to make money online by monetizing your website or want to grow your existing affiliate business, CJ’s robust technology platform and proven expertise drive results. Click here to read MonetizePros’ in-depth review of CJ Affiliate by Conversant.
- Rakuten LinkShare — Regardless of what type of site you have in mind (or already have in place!) as you build a loyal following you have an opportunity to monetize your website and start earning commissions. Click here to read MonetizePros’ in-depth review of Rakuten LinkShare.
- ShareASale — ShareASale hosts 3,900+ affiliate programs across 40 different countries in a wide range of categories of products beyond online or downloadable only.
As you can see, Google AdSense is not the end-all when it comes to monetizing your website. Based on your niche and audience size, you can increase your online income using multiple avenues, from display ads to video monetization. Which Google AdSense alternatives do you use? Please share in the comments!
- The Top Email Ad Networks (2014) — Display ad monetization is continuing to evolve, with many sites relying on “non-traditional” implementations for a significant portion of overall...
- 50 Blog and Content Monetization Strategies for 2014 & Beyond — Ready to start making more money from the content on your blog and beyond in 2014? In this guide, we’re...
- 442 Tips to Monetize Your Social Media Presence in 2014 — Happy Holidays! I hope all you readers get a chance to rest, relax, and enjoy family and friends this week....
- Best Ad Networks (2014 Update): Display Advertising & More — This article was last updated on May 2, 2014. If you’re looking to monetize your Web traffic through advertising, there...
- The Top Affiliate Marketing Networks (2014) — Though the glory days may be behind us, affiliate marketing remains a multi-billion dollar industry and a primary source of...