As the last full week of October comes to a close (with some flurries seen around Chicago already!) we’re back with another weekly roundup to highlight reading of note for aspiring webmasters and online entrepreneurs. Here’s some of our suggested weekend reading:
- Old School TV Reigns Supreme At 58% Of Ad Spend, Internet Display Up 27%. This report dropped a few shocking stats on us–including the fact that Internet display ads have accounted for only 4.3% of online ad spend in 2013 so far (though it’s growing at an impressive 27%). Also shocking is that 19% of all media spend has gone towards newspapers so far this year.
- A (Short) History of Affiliate Marketing. The Skimlinks blog has a short but sweet overview of affiliate marketing as a monetization technique, including some good additional resources at the end of the article.
- How to Make Your First Affiliate Marketing Sale in 7 Steps. If you’re looking for some more specific guidance on tackling affiliate marketing, Holly Klaassen has a good summary here.
- A five-step roadmap for using personalisation in ecommerce. James Gurd has a great introduction to the concept of personalisation as a technique that can improve monetization results for e-commerce sites.
- No Wizardry Needed! The Ultimate Guide for Monetizing Your Blog. Pratik Dholakiya tackles a common question in the blogosphere, offering up some great suggestions for turning on that revenue stream from your blog.
As a bonus read, we also liked Google’s Dominance of Online Display Advertising (this one get a bit advanced, but is very insightful).
Forum Thread of the Week
We had some good discussion this week on establishing CPM and CPC rates for a new site that will be monetized (at least partially) via display advertising. Check out the suggestions, and let us know what you think.