As the first half of the year draws to a close, we’re presenting another round of the best monetization articles from around the Web this week. If you missed it, be sure to check out our recent feature highlighting how Wikipedia could make $2.8 billion annually (and sign up for our free newsletter while you’re at it).
- The Great Affiliate Marketer Survey. Tyler Cruz has an interesting exercise for affiliate marketers; take the quiz he put together, and then enjoy analyzing the results. Shawn Collins also has some interesting insights into the demographics of affiliate marketers this week.
- Should You Consider Affiliate Marketing? Michael Hourigan of Shoeboxed writes this week with some insights and resources for those considering monetization via affiliate marketing.
- Shedding shame: the beauty of affiliate marketing. Liv Lane offers up an interesting perspective on the affiliate marketing industry that exists in 2013, sharing her own experiences (and frustrations).
Display & Native Advertising
- No, native advertising in print is not going to “save newspapers”. Matthew Ingram gives his take on what has become a hot topic recently: native advertising. He’s not so convinced this trendy topic is the cure for all that ails traditional newspapers.
- Will the Real Native Ad Please Stand Up? Judy Shapiro poses an interesting question in an article this week for Digiday: is native advertising a genuine innovation or just “an old girlfriend in a new dress?”
- GE Partners With BuzzFeed for B-to-B Native Ads. If you’re not sure exactly what native ads are (or what all the fuss is about), this article by Maura McGowan will fill you in with a real-world example.
- 75+ eCommerce WordPress Themes. This feature by Jane Cross offers up a boatload of themes you might want to consider if you’re building an e-commerce site.
- 5 Simple Rules for Running Ecommerce Websites. Justin Gilchrist of FlipFilter offers up some solid advice for anyone monetizing a website via e-commerce.
- How EA Turned a Big Win into a Metropolis. There’s a great post on the Optimizely blog highlighting the split testing that was put into place by EA to launch its recent Sim City product. Check out the interesting test results to see what variation resulted in a huge (and we mean huge) uplift in sales.
Random Monetization Thoughts
- Why #Hashtags are the Future of Monetizing Social Media. Sangeet Paul Choudary published a great overview of Web monetization strategies of the past (and present), along with his thoughts on what’s failing in 2013 and what the future might bring.
That’s all for this week; we’ll see you in July!