It feels as if spring has finally sprung in Chicago this week, and we’re welcoming the change in the weather with open arms. The last week produced a number of interesting earnings reports from publicly-traded online businesses, including Zynga, eBay, and Amazon. For website owners with the grand dreams of following in the steps of those companies–or simply generating enough cash to keep the lights on–below are seven of the best articles on website monetization from the past week.
Be sure to also check out the new additions to our blog this week, including our tips for optimal AdSense setup and a questionnaire to help you determine if you should be selling ads directly. (Sign up for our free newsletter to get these articles delivered straight to your inbox.)
- The Ultimate Guide to Making Money with the Amazon Affiliate Program. Darren Rowse has an excellent article up this week at ProBlogger, looking back at ten years of membership in the Amazon Affiliate Program (and more than $400,000 in earnings). Darren gives some great insights into the pros and cons of Amazon, as well as 20 tips he’s picked up over the last decade for successful affiliate marketing.
- The State Of Online Video Advertising: Growing, Pricey, Fragmented. Peter Koeppel at Adotas.com has a great breakdown of the online video advertising market, discussing some of the barriers that must be overcome if the lofty growth expectations are going to become a reality. If you’re beginning to dabble in this corner of the online ad market, Peter has some interesting thoughts and insights.
- Can Google stop the drop in mobile advertising prices? Writing for Fortune, JP Mangalindan gives a great summary of the challenges facing Google and other companies attempting to crack the mobile ad nut.
- 11 great ways to use social proof in ecommerce. In this article at Econsultancy, Graham Charlton highlights some sites that effectively use the beliefs and reviews of others to increase conversions. From Naked Wines to Kiddicare, this post has some creative implementations of this relatively new concept. (Note: this article isn’t only applicable to e-commerce; a lot of these examples could be applied to premium products, e-newsletters, etc.)
- 3 New Ways To Measure Email Campaign Effectiveness. Tom Sather at Marketing Land has some interesting ideas on new metrics to evaluate the success of your email marketing campaigns. Along the way, he also sheds some light on why JC Penney is on the verge of bankruptcy. (Hint: their email marketing leaves a lot to be desired.)
- Case Studies: How to Build Online Businesses That Gross $250,000+ Per Month. Tim Ferriss recently put up a recap of his Q&A sessions with online entrepreneurs who are now grossing more than a quarter of a million every month. Their candid thoughts on what’s gone right and wrong in their business provides some great insights to aspiring online business owners.
- If Content Is King, Revenue Is Queen. We’ll wrap up for the week with a great post from Chris Goward on Wider Funnel. In adding a follow-up rule to a popular Bill Gates axiom, Chris reminds us that “content without conversions is just free publishing.”
That’s all for this week; for great daily reading, be sure to follow MonetizePros on Twitter.