With a long weekend ahead, we’re presenting another 25 monetization articles full of insights, observations, and predictions. This week’s roundup includes a special section dedicated to the monetization opportunities that await Marissa Mayer and team, the new owners of Tumblr after a $1.1 billion acquisition this week. The acquisition touched off some interesting opinions from monetization gurus, who see it as a stroke of brilliance, a disaster in the making, or somewhere in between.
To get these reading lists delivered to your inbox, sign up for the free MonetizePros email newsletter.
Conversion Rate Optimization
- Fighting Over The Future of Display. At Digiday, Haniya Rae weighs in this week on what has become a debate recently in the world of digital advertising. This article includes commentary from several in the industry, including the Director of Sales at Valueclick Media.
- Mobile continues to dominate online advertising growth. An infographic up at CampaignBrief.com this week has a good summary of the explosive growth of mobile advertising, as well as some insights for what it means for the future of the industry.
- Does Mobile Display Even Work? Writing for Adotas this week, Richard Tso at Adotas sets out to analyze the huge potential of mobile advertising.
- Display Ads Are A Crock Of $&%*. This article from Ireland-based Wolfgang Digital dives into some interesting survey results related to user trust of various advertising forms.
Yahoo! & Tumblr
- Yahoo! And Tumblr: It’s About Display, Streams & Native at Scale. Writing at Talk NYC, John Battelle offers his take on what drove the Yahoo! acquisition of Tumblr, including thoughts on the native advertising opportunity it presents.
- Undervalued display ads, mobile: how Tumblr will earn Yahoo billions. Larry Kim has an article up at Memeburn that takes a rather optimistic look at Yahoo!’s big deal this week. He outlines several big opportunities for the company to make the Tumblr acquisition a huge success, including thoughts on undervalued display ads.
- 5 Reasons Why The Tumblr/Yahoo! Deal Is a Good Idea. Rob Bailey has some good insights in an article this week on DataSift; he thinks Yahoo! made a great decision to buy Tumblr, and has some pretty specific points to back up his argument.
- There’s A Huge Flaw In Yahoo’s Monetization Plan For Tumblr. Anthony Campanella takes a slightly different view of the week’s big acquisition, offering up his take (and some insider information) on how the deal could end up as a flop.
For those with even more of a monetization appetite, here is a handful of even more quality articles from the past week:
That’s all for this week. Be sure to follow us on Twitter for more reading throughout the week.