With a long weekend ahead, we’re presenting another 25 monetization articles full of insights, observations, and predictions. This week’s roundup includes a special section dedicated to the monetization opportunities that await Marissa Mayer and team, the new owners of Tumblr after a $1.1 billion acquisition this week. The acquisition touched off some interesting opinions from monetization gurus, who see it as a stroke of brilliance, a disaster in the making, or somewhere in between.
To get these reading lists delivered to your inbox, sign up for the free MonetizePros email newsletter.
- Affiliate Marketing Going ‘Mainstream’ Says VigLink CEO Roup. John Ebbert at AdExchanger.com has a summary of an interesting interview with VigLink CEO Oliver Roup.
- Managing The Migration To A New Affiliate Network. Writing for Marketing Land this week, Scott Allan contemplates the process of moving affiliate networks (from an advertiser perspective). His article includes five questions to ask, as well as a seven-step process.
- Where to Find Non-Spammy Affiliates. In an article on FeedFront this week Shawn Collins sets out to answer a question that just about every affiliate marketer has asked at one point or another.
Conversion Rate Optimization
- The Ultimate Guide to Conversion Centered Design. It’s not exactly an article, but this ebook by Oli Gardner at Unbounce is a must-read for anyone with a landing page or a sales funnel.
- Ten Conversion Testing Questions Answered. Linda Bustos has a Q&A up at Get Elastic with Chris Goward, author of You Should Test That.
- 4 Essential Ingredients for a Video that Converts. Andrew Follett writes this week at CrazyEgg’s The Daily Egg with some tips for improving the conversion of video ads.
- Fighting Over The Future of Display. At Digiday, Haniya Rae weighs in this week on what has become a debate recently in the world of digital advertising. This article includes commentary from several in the industry, including the Director of Sales at Valueclick Media.
- Mobile continues to dominate online advertising growth. An infographic up at CampaignBrief.com this week has a good summary of the explosive growth of mobile advertising, as well as some insights for what it means for the future of the industry.
- Does Mobile Display Even Work? Writing for Adotas this week, Richard Tso at Adotas sets out to analyze the huge potential of mobile advertising.
- Display Ads Are A Crock Of $&%*. This article from Ireland-based Wolfgang Digital dives into some interesting survey results related to user trust of various advertising forms.
Yahoo! & Tumblr
- Yahoo! And Tumblr: It’s About Display, Streams & Native at Scale. Writing at Talk NYC, John Battelle offers his take on what drove the Yahoo! acquisition of Tumblr, including thoughts on the native advertising opportunity it presents.
- Undervalued display ads, mobile: how Tumblr will earn Yahoo billions. Larry Kim has an article up at Memeburn that takes a rather optimistic look at Yahoo!’s big deal this week. He outlines several big opportunities for the company to make the Tumblr acquisition a huge success, including thoughts on undervalued display ads.
- 5 Reasons Why The Tumblr/Yahoo! Deal Is a Good Idea. Rob Bailey has some good insights in an article this week on DataSift; he thinks Yahoo! made a great decision to buy Tumblr, and has some pretty specific points to back up his argument.
- There’s A Huge Flaw In Yahoo’s Monetization Plan For Tumblr. Anthony Campanella takes a slightly different view of the week’s big acquisition, offering up his take (and some insider information) on how the deal could end up as a flop.
For those with even more of a monetization appetite, here is a handful of even more quality articles from the past week:
- Google rebuilds AdMob to boost mobile app monetization by Jason Ankeny
- Ziff Davis Is Buying NetShelter/InPowered’s Display Ad Business by Darrell Etherington
- Inside Tumblr’s Massive Monetization Opportunity by Alex Cocotas
- Why Is Monetization a Dirty Word for Bloggers? at BloggingPro
- 7 A/B Testing Blunders That Even Experts Make by Bethesda Emedia Marketing
- Mobile Marketing And Email: 4 Ways To Use Them Together by Rebekah Henson
- Top 5 Mistakes Bloggers Make With Their Email Marketing Campaign by Chad Goulde
- Top 10 Email Marketing Tips by Lauren Catlin
- Google Publisher Toolbar Gets An Update by Chris Crum
- How to Start in Affiliate Marketing with Jason Akatiff by Jennifer Selleck
- The 3 Elements of Money Making Blogs by Michael Chibuzor
That’s all for this week. Be sure to follow us on Twitter for more reading throughout the week.