Introduction to Outbrain
Outbrain is a sponsored content network for publishers to advertise their content as well as earn revenue from sponsored content hosted on their sites. While sponsored content is a relatively new and unique form of monetization, compared to more traditional sources such as display or affiliate advertising, revenue potential is sponsored content is very low. Still, with high enough levels of traffic, a publisher can earn significant incremental revenue with Outbrain’s site widget.
Overall Rating: 3.75 out of 5.
- What We Like: Easy to install, unique monetization method.
- What We Don’t Like: Delayed reporting, low earnings, high traffic minimum.
- Publisher Terms: http://www.outbrain.com/amplify/guidelines/
- Traffic Minimum: 10 million monthly US article pageviews.
- Publisher Language Requirement: None.
- Prohibited Publisher Content: Adult, alcohol, financial services, gambling, games/contests/sweepstakes, health services, subscriber-only content, pornography, weaponry, illegal drugs or tobacco, non-government-approved pharmaceuticals and supplements, malware, hate, scams, bad user experience.
Advertisers & Offers
- Advertising Types: Sponsored Content.
- Offer Types: CPC.
- Verticals: All.
- Network Size: Over 100,000 blogs and websites.
- Sampling of Publishers: New York Post, Slate.
Outbrain Tech Implementation Rating: 5 out of 5.
Example of Outbrain implementation (outlined in red) on Slate, at the conclusion of an article
- Display Ad Unit Sizes Available: Choice of 1-10 content recommendations, displayed as thumbnail images or text-only links.
- Compatible with Google AdSense: Yes.
- Mobile Ad Units Available: Yes.
- WordPress Plugin Available: Yes.
Publisher Reporting & Admin Control Panel
Outbrain Publisher Reporting & Admin Control Panel Rating: 4 out of 5.
Outbrain publisher site dashboard
- Control Panel: The Outbrain publisher control panel is very simple. Under the Site Performance section, you can see reports on top content as well as a more detailed report of clicks and CTR. There is section where you can manage your blogs, or sites where you can install the recommendation widget. Here, you can select language, recommendation settings, whether or not you’d like to donate your earnings to charity, specify the number of recommendations to be displayed (1-10), and widget type (text links or thumbnail images). Under the Account Settings page, you can change your email address or password. Overall, it’s a pretty easy to use, but bare bones control panel; there is nowhere to enter payment details, as that is reserved for their premium publishers, and setup of that type of account is reserved for those publishers receiving at least 10 million monthly US page views on article pages.
- Reporting: The Outbrain reporting, much like the control panel as a whole, is very basic. All reporting is delayed one day. (I.e., it is not possible to get the current day’s stats.) The dashboard displays CTR, page views, and clicks, along with a table of the most-clicked article and video content. The “detailed report” simply shows page views, clicks, and CTR by date. It defaults to a trailing 30-day view, though you can specify a custom time frame, if you’d like.
- Control Panel URL: https://my.outbrain.com/reports/dashboard
Outbrain Payment Rating: 3 out of 5.
- Publisher’s Share of Revenue: Unknown.
- Payment Methods Available: Unknown.
- Payment Terms: Net-60 or Net-90
- Minimum Payout Threshold: $50.
Outbrain Account Help Rating: 3 out of 5.
What are the Outbrain minimum traffic requirements?
The minimum traffic requirement for publishers to apply to Outbrain is a minimum of 10 million monthly visitors of US pageviews. If you have quality content, you might be accepted as an Outbrain publisher with as little as 3 million US visits. There is no language requirement, but your content must not be on the prohibited list of content types.
How do you make money with Outbrain?
As a publisher, Outbrain pays publishers in a revenue share model. Outbrain also charges publishers a serving fee, charged as a percentage to cover costs of serving the ads. Some legacy publishers might have the option of ad guarantees. The terms are negotiated per publisher agreements.
What is the Outbrain minimum payment threshold?
The minimum payment threshold is $50 for payments and are paid by the terms of your agreement.
Editor's Outbrain Review
Outbrain is one of the top performances based on the native advertising network along with Taboola. For the advertiser, it would good chances to try Outbrain since your ads will appear on the website that have huge traffic, and it tends to be cheaper.
For the publisher, even though it said to be the alternative of Google Adsense but it still way long to go. It’s not that easy to get approved by Outbrain. You have the requirement that your website has a minimum of 10,000 traffic monthly US article pageviews. Besides the fact that earning per click on Outbrain is fairly low.
Overall, there isn’t any reason not to give Outbrain a chance. It can be effective as long as you have the minimum requirement, so it would worth enough to check on.