Another week has flown by, and we’re back to provide an expanded weekend reading list for website owners looking to make more money from their existing traffic. Below are the best articles about monetization from around the Web during the past week. But first, we strongly recommend that you sign up for our free daily email newsletter.
Content & Monetization
- A Few Thoughts on Content Creation, Monetization, and Strategy. Tim Ferriss, the brains behind the “4 Hour” series, put up this short but sweet article outlining how he approaches content creation and making money online. (Be sure to browse the comments too; there is some good commentary there as well.)
- 12 Blogging Income Streams [And the Story of My 10 Year ‘Overnight’ Success]. This article is an absolute must-read for any aspiring blogger. Darren Rowse outlines how his monetization strategies evolved over the years, and how that evolution got him to the point where he can blog for a living (a quite comfortable living at that).
Conversion & Optimization
- How to Create a Thank You Call To Action. Chelsea Adams has a great article up on the Bruce Clay blog that outlines the importance of the often-overlooked “Thank You” page. She runs through some strategies for keeping users engaged and on your site and giving them a push to complete another desired goal. (This is part two of her series; also have a look at part one.)
- Product Listing Ads: Five Tips That Increase Conversions. Rick Backus at Search Engine Land writes this week about how to increase the revenue you get from Google Shopping, one of the most popular comparison shopping engines.
- Your Design Sucks. And Copy. And Your Idea is Wrong (or Why You Need Continuous Optimization). Another week, another great article on the ConversionXL blog.
- 5 (Unalarming) Stats About Banner Ads. At Digiday, Ben Kunz of Mediassociates offers up a strong rebuttal to a piece that recently made the rounds, offering up a defense of banner ads.
- Serving Up Success with Ad Serving: 5 Key Monetization Benefits for Emerging Publishers. This article is a great primer for any publisher with display ads as a key part of his/her monetization strategy. Lev Jacobi from Operative Media walks through the importance of keeping control, and the potential benefits of alternative ad servers.
- People Are More Likely to Survive a Plane Crash Than Click a Banner Ad [Infographic]. The title of this one says it all; Oli Gardner at Unbounce breaks down the statistics on banner ads, and has a solid infographic explaining the concept (and rise) of native ads.
- 7 Ways To Write Email Newsletters That Produce Leads. If you’re new to email marketing, this article on the Alpha Sandesh blog gives a good overview of what to do (and what not to do) as you start building campaigns.
- 10 Ways To Improve Your Email Marketing Before Lunch. The AWeber blog has another good summary of easy-to-implement tweaks to your email marketing campaign. Take a look through; odds are at least one of these applies to your marketing efforts.
- Email Marketing Gone Mobile. From Jonathan Angelicchio at CakeMail Blog is a quick list of pointers for sending emails that will be read on mobile devices. These tips apply to just about everyone out there; as the percentage of email read on a mobile device skyrockets, this topic is more important than ever.
More Weekend Reading
If you have some extra time for reading this week, here are a few more articles worth checking out:
- Poor Monetization Methods killing Social Media by Bradley Wint at Vyralize
- Native Ads Vs. Display Ads (And How Mobile Fits In) by Emily Wilson at Magnet Media Labs
- Dan Fletcher on Facebook, good content, and monetization by Ryan Graff at Northwestern University’s Knight Lab
- Thoughts on Monetization #1: Trials and Trial Conversions by Kraig Brockschmidt
- What is the Social Media Online Marketing Monetization Window? by Julie Musial at the Musial Marketing blog
- 3 Trends Driving an Email Marketing Renaissance by Blaise Lucey on the March Communications blog
- How-To: Improve Your Email Marketing Strategy at the ZOG Digital blog
- 3 Kickass Icon Image Tips For Mobile Affiliate Marketing by Ruck at the IMGrind blog
- Starting An Affiliate Marketing Business? 3 Quick Tips To Get You Started Right by Steve Dooley
- Followup to How To Go From Zero To $100 + Per Day With Affiliate Marketing (Within 12 Months) by John Gibb
- 4 Tips To Promote Affiliate Income Through Amazon by Zak Khan
- Efficient A/B Testing And SEO at BloggingPro
- Banners Are the Worst Advertising by Bob Hoffman at Digiday
- Low-Tech Ways To Capture More Email Addresses at MonetizePros.com